Can cats eat chocolate? Is it safe for cats? The answer is no. Chocolate is harmful to cats. While most pet parents are more concerned about their dog eating chocolate (dogs account for around 95 percent of chocolate consumption calls to pet poison hotlines), it’s just as vital that you keep your cat from consuming the sweet stuff.
Chocolate, in any quantity, can be poisonous to cats. Even a little amount of chocolate might be harmful, causing symptoms such as vomiting and seizures that can lead to death. Knowing what happens if a cat eats chocolate and what to do if one does are important actions that may save a life.
Why Is Chocolate Bad for Cats?
Chocolate is poisonous to cats if eaten in sufficient amounts, owing to the presence of chemicals known as theobromine and caffeine. Theobromine is more slowly absorbed by cats than by humans, so even a little amount of chocolate may be harmful to a tiny cat. Caffeine is chemically similar to theobromine and acts similarly on cats as it does on humans: it stimulates them considerably more than humans.
Chocolate toxicity in cats may result in a variety of symptoms, including death, if left untreated. Even if you believe your cat has only consumed a little amount of chocolate, you should contact your veterinarian right away since each cat’s sensitivity to theobromine and caffeine varies.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in a Cat
- Rapid breathing
As with any medical emergency, take your cat to the veterinarian or an animal emergency clinic as soon as possible to learn how bad the poisoning is and get treatment. Continue to check your cat for any additional problems after treatment until you are confident she has fully recovered.
Is it possible to eat too much chocolate?
For your cat, any amount of chocolate is too much. Chocolate in all forms, including dry cocoa powder and baking chocolate (most toxic owing to their high content of theobromine), dark, semi-sweet, and milk chocolate, as well as white chocolate with a small percentage of cocoa are harmful to your feline companion.
The amount of harm a cat suffers from chocolate, however, is determined by how much they consume and what kind. One square of unsweetened baking chocolate can do as much damage to your cat as twenty-three milk chocolate drops for a ten-pound cat, according to Petful. You should discourage your cat from eating tiny amounts of chocolate because any quantity might cause illness.
What Should I Do If My Cat Eats Chocolate?
Keep an eye on your cat
If you find that your cat has eaten chocolate, the greatest thing you can do is keep a close eye on them. If your cat is allowed to go outdoors often, keep them in for at least 24 hours to rule out any symptoms: make sure doors and windows are shut, and be cautious when coming and going from the home.
Ask your veterinarian for advice
If you find your cat eating chocolate, take them to a veterinarian as soon as possible. A vet can attempt to induce vomiting in your pet if caught early enough to remove the harmful component from their system. It’s conceivable that after consuming chocolate, your cat naturally vomits; however, don’t try to force vomit on your own at home without the supervision of a skilled veterinarian.
When your cat is sick, you will most likely take them to the veterinarian for a variety of reasons. They will undoubtedly perform a number of evaluations while visiting the vet, including a complete physical examination and perhaps collecting a urine sample. They might also do an ECG (heart test) to determine whether there are any heart abnormalities in your pet’s rhythm. Once signs appear, there is no “cure” other than treating the symptoms. It’s probable that IV fluids will be given, as well as treatment for liver disease if the liver has been damaged.
How Can I Keep It from Happening Again?
The harmful effects of chocolate are entirely avoidable. Remove chocolate from your cat’s reach. Cats are curious and unpredictable, so keep all chocolate locked in a tightly closed container to prevent snooping around the kitchen. Because it isn’t just dark chocolates that can make them sick, consider all the different items that might contain chocolate, such as brownies, doughnuts, cookies, sweets, and so on.
If a visitor asks, “can cats eat chocolate?” you’ll be ready with a firm “No!”
So, can cats eat chocolate? The answer is, NO. Chocolate is toxic to cats and can cause a range of serious symptoms, including vomiting, seizures, and even death. If your cat eats chocolate, take them to the vet immediately. It’s important to be aware of the dangers of chocolate ingestion so that you can prevent it from happening in the first place. Keep all chocolate out of reach of your cat!